Shaenon K. Garrity
2923 King Street ~ Berkeley, CA 94703
email@example.com ~ 415.602.0014
I’m a writer and editor specializing in comics and pop culture. As an editor, I have over a decade of experience working with comic books. As a freelance writer, I’ve written extensively on comics, animation, and other popular arts. I’ve advised companies on comics publishing and spearheaded their entry into the field. My own comics and fiction have won awards and critical acclaim.
Vassar College: Bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, in English (2000)
Scribd – Comics Curator (2014-2015)
Oversaw the creation of Scribd’s massively successful comics line, the company’s biggest launch to date. Organized over 10,000 issues of comics into curated pages, recommendation lists, and author/title spotlights. Advised the Scribd marketing team on the implementation of the comics line, particularly outreach to comics readers and publishers.
Academy of Art University – Instructor (2010-2014)
Taught “Writing for Comics” in the Illustration department. Developed students’ writing skills one-on-one at the Academy’s writing lab.
Modern Tales – Editor (2006-2012)
Content editor of the subscription-based comics site Modern Tales. Selected and promoted comics and spearheaded new lines like Modern Tales Longplay, a graphic novel collection.
Viz Media – Editor (2003-2015)
Freelance editor of over 20 manga series, including Naruto, One Piece, Inuyasha, and Case Closed. For each series, managed the translation and localization team, rewrote and copyedited scripts, wrote promotional copy, and supervised the English-language publication of the work. Continue to oversee titles as a freelance editor.
• Reviews and articles published in numerous magazines, including Nickelodeon Magazine, Shonen Jump, Otaku USA, Mother Jones, and Paste
• Short fiction published in Lightspeed, Escape Pod, Strange Horizons, the Amazon literary magazine Day One, and other magazines and anthologies
• Regular columnist for The Comics Journal (the webcomics column “No One Knows You’re a Dog”), Comixology (the general comics column “All the Comics in the World”), and Anime News Network (the manga column “House of 1,000 Manga”)
• Contributing writer to Manga: Introduction, Challenges and Best Practices (Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, 2013)
• Contributing writer to The Hundred Greatest Looney Tunes (Palace Press, 2010)
• Contributing writer to the Eisner Award-nominated Manga: The Complete Guide (Del Rey, 2007)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
2014: “To Whatever” voted Best Story of 2014 in the Drabblecast readers’ poll
2013: “Flying on My Hatred of My Neighbor’s Dog” voted Best Story of 2013 in the Drabblecast readers’ poll
2013: “Punk Voyager” voted Best Story of 2013 in the Escape Pod readers’ poll
2007: Artist in residence at the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center
2007: Stumptown Trophy Award nominee for Outstanding Small Press
2005: Lulu of the Year Award from Friends of Lulu, an organization promoting women in comics